MyRazzles Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MyRazzles Forums

Welcome to MyRazzles Online Forums

HomeTodaySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
l:   WEBSITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION    WEBSITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!     

HI, RAZZLES. THIS SITE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE!
Welcome to MyRazzles!
Latest topics
» MyRazzles 2016
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 9:01 pm by countrybelle2004

» Welcome!
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 9:30 am by flipper09

» Member Introductions
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 9:29 am by flipper09

» Hi!
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2015 9:26 am by flipper09

» hello!
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 10:13 am by flipper09

» Nancy Drew
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am by flipper09

» Welcome to the group
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 10:07 am by flipper09

» new game on gamehouse
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2015 10:05 am by flipper09

» Delicious: Emily's New Beginning
Quick Tips Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 3:17 pm by flipper09

Quick Tips

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shamashe
Member.
Member.
Shamashe

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 11:26 pm

Todays tip: Neck posture using computers

Since I have been talking about computer posture all week, thought I'd share this.

When sitting at a computer, especially a laptop, it's important to have your head looking at the screen straight on at a 45 degree angle (I'll talk about wrists, arms and back later). It's NOT a good idea to type looking down at the screen or even up - very hard on the eye and neck muscles; frequently causing headaches, shoulder strain, chest muscle tightness and mid-back hunching, misalignment or pain.

On a desktop, it's easier, as you can prop the monitor up, but on a laptop, it's a lot harder as we tend to use them while sitting bed etc. I don't have an answer of my own for that one - except to sit as propped up as you can with a lap table. Definately DON'T lay on your stomach to type!

The action of pulling the neck forward while hunching and looking up is called Turtleing (not a game reference) - like the motion a turtle makes when they lift their head. If you want to see what it looks like, I suggest going to any place where people use computers and observe their posture. It's no wonder that neck and back pain account for 80+ percent of musclosketal medical issues!

So drop those shoulders, don't slouch and lift that chin. May you be comfortable on your computer! Smile
Back to top Go down
flipper09
Admin1
flipper09

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: teas   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Yes, I have used those teas. I keep them in the house year round. With my asthma, Breathe Easy is good and Throat Coat works really well too!!! Those are really good teas, and no, they are not expensive.
Back to top Go down
mohala
MOD.
MOD.
mohala

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeSat Feb 06, 2010 11:37 am

Thanks Shamashe, I need some circulation excerises. Especially in my feet. This medication that I take slows down the circulation. I sure hope this helps.Will let you know. Oh, and I do sit with my feet tucked when at my desk. Shame on me. Quick Tips Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Shamashe
Member.
Member.
Shamashe

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 pm

Here's my tip of the day:

A lot of us experience general aches and pains and stiff sore joints due to age, weight, stress, medical issues, chronic positions and allergies.

Here's some tips for relieving feet/ankles feeling stiff or like they're stinging (edema?) or numb/asleep (circulation?)

1. Make sure you're sitting on both "cheeks" evenly

2. Be aware of NOT tucking your feet under you when sitting at a desk or in a chair. When at the computer, both feet should be forward about 2" and flat.
Better yet, prop one or both feet on a small box (shoebox or telephone book size).
And even Better - use one of those desk pedals - the kind that push forward and backwards when you're sitting

3. Do the alphabet with your toes regularly. Form the letters from A-Z by lifting your foot a little (one at a time) and pointing your toes slightly to draw the letters.
Go through the whole range of the letter when drawing it in the air. (This doesn't have to be strenuous, go slow to medium speed)
This exercise puts all of the muscles in the foot and ankle through a complete range of motions and increases circulation.
and yes, if you do it too much you may feel muscle sore a bit - so be mindful when doing it - P.S. it's really good in a recliner with feet out :-))

Happy Circulating!
Back to top Go down
Shamashe
Member.
Member.
Shamashe

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi flipper, great suggestions! Leave it to a great Mom! I love honey lemon tea and frequently use Camomille too.

Have you tried the brand "Traditional Medicinals?" They make "Breathe Easy" (for opening up the pipes), "Throat Coat" (great for sore or overused throats) and "Sleepy Time" among others. Not too expensive either!

Thanks for the suggestions!
Back to top Go down
flipper09
Admin1
flipper09

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:59 pm

I have found some herbal teas to work as well as buying medicine and a lot cheaper. For upset stomaches, try ginger tea or peppermint tea. I have used this when my son was colicky, and it works wonders. When the gas drops didn't work, a peppermint and warm water worked. Chamomile tea is one of our favorites and is relaxing. For sore throats, try lemon tea with honey, or use regular tea, and add lemon juice and honey. I have also used this when I or one of my kids has a cold. Just a few things I have found along the line with my family.
Back to top Go down
Shamashe
Member.
Member.
Shamashe

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Today's tip - When sitting at your computer - or wherever - remember to get up, and stand up (for a few seconds minimum) every 20 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Shamashe
Member.
Member.
Shamashe

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks Mohala!

Today's tip's about water consumption
This is the ratio: drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces!
Tea, Cola and other fluids only count as half.
So, for example: 150 lbs = 75 ozs. water ( that's only a little more than 2 of those 36 oz. bottles or a big gulp!)

Sidebars:
Remember that tea, coffee, cola and alcohol dehydrate you even though they're fluids.

Coffee also leaches the Vit. B's from your system, so if you drink a lot of caffine and end up feeling more stressed or more tired, it may actually be the coffee or tea or colas.

Also, Cola's etc. in aluminum cans, leach the aluminum into your system, which can block the absorbtion of drugs and nutrients. Body can't process metal!

There's a whole lot more about water and hydration that I'll be writing articles about - so look for those, but for now, this will do.
Let me know if you want to know tips about dehydration. It's more prevalent than you may think.
Hugs to all! :-))
Back to top Go down
mohala
MOD.
MOD.
mohala

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 10:43 am

Wonderful tips Shamashe. And I do know the first one does work. I do it all of the time for my neck and knee injuries.
Back to top Go down
Shamashe
Member.
Member.
Shamashe

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Acronym's   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 pm

RICE: Rest, Ice, Elevate, Compress - (for injuries like a sprain, or tendonitis)
BRAT: Broth, Rice, Applesauce, Toast - (common for a "low residue" diet with GI issues)
Back to top Go down
Shamashe
Member.
Member.
Shamashe

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:45 pm

We all know bits and pieces of medical and medicinal lore, mother's remedy's, old family cures, stuff someone said, and just plain common sense health aides.
Here's a place to list some of them:

For General Healing of physical discomfort - the rule of thumb is: "Ice for pain - Heat for sore"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Quick Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Quick Tips   Quick Tips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick Tips
Page 1 of 1